Total Pageviews

Wednesday 28 September 2011

Jungles, history and islands

Being back on Calypso was good and as we drove through the rain to Khao Sok National Park, I was able to reflect on the last five months and all that I have seen and done.  It has been the most amazing trip and one that I will continue to enjoy for years to come through the books I read and of course my photographs. 

The rain was heavy as we arrived and we had to wait on an increasingly hot Calypso while our rooms were sorted out.  The large gecko on the ceiling did not worry me but I think Wendy was pleased to have found the one under her pillow before she got into bed.  The heavy rain continued but we sat cosily in the bar of the Jungle House Resort drinking Chang beer and eating delicious Thai food.

The following morning brought sunshine so was able to walk up to the town, such as it is, and have a mango smoothy in the Herb Cafe.  There was a lot of water on the road and I had to paddle through the streams crossing the road although the guys were able to jump them!
Herb Cafe

Herb Cafe
Walking back to our resort through the jungle we saw monkeys in the tress but they were not very co-operative and the only photo I managed to take that you could recognize as a monkey was of it's rear view.


My best monkey picture
The afternoon was spent replying to emails which seems such a waste when one is in the jungle but without going for a long trek there was not a lot else to do. Rain constantly threatened it seemed the best way to pass the time.

It was a 6.00 a.m. start and a long drive punctuated by stops at 7/11s for food and diesel.  Georgetown in Penang looked interesting as we drove in and it proved to be just that.  Our hotel was obviously very grand at one time in old colonial style but had definitely seen better days with antiquated, and not in a good way, furniture and in need of a major refurbishment.  It could be wonderful but right now it was just shabby.  The staff were very friendly though and did their best and there was a wonderful night market opposite where we ate really good Indian food.

Cathay Hotel

I was awake early and as I really wanted to make the most of the day crept out without waking Melissa.  I met with some of the others and we walked the streets trying to find somewhere for breakfast but it was like a ghost town.  Eventually we found a Starbucks and after a coffee and a muffin, the others went off to Penang Hill but as I had been there previously I went off on my own. 

Komtar, the highest building in Penang
Heading in the wrong direction, as usual, turned out to be good as I walked down quiet streets and imagined life back between the wars. 

Old building near Komtar

Without my glasses I thought it said Kate Little Cottage
Once on track again I found Campbell Street where all the trading used to take place.  Nowadays it was pretty quiet down there with a lot of shops being closed.   I actually asked one of the shop-keepers if it was a public holiday as the place seemed deserted.

In street near Campbell Street

Arch over Campbell Street
Wandering past the mosques, the temples and the churches, it was so interesting to see how all the different people have made Malaysia the country that it is.  The food is as diverse as the religion and the people even more diverse than both of those.  After the surly looks in Thailand the people are warm and friendly and everyone seems to speak English which makes life easy for us!

I went into a temple called Cheah Kongsi where a man told me some of the history and showed me how to offer joss sticks to the gods.  He was full of information but gradually I realised there was going to be a request for a large tip so I dispensed with his services.
My guide lighting joss sticks in Cheah Kongsi

In Cheah Kongsi
In Cheah Kongsi
Then it was to Khoo Kongsi which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and very beautiful but the rain descended so it was a quick hop from building to building trying as much as possible to avoid the large puddles that had formed.  My new umbrella leaked through the middle but did keep the worst of the rain off me.
Khoo Kongsi

In Khoo Kongsi looking out at the rain

In Khoo Kongsi looking out at the rain

Khoo Kongsi

In one of the temples at Khoo Kongsi

Statue at Khoo Kongsi

Prosperity
Little India with its colourful saris and Bollywood music would have been a great place to spend some time but the weather drove me in to eat curry (no hardship) and after a bit more strolling round the streets, I waded my way to the bus station where I caught the free shuttle bus back to St. George's Church with its simple white lines and on to the Goddess of Mercy Temple.
Cute shop

Inside St. George's Church

St. George's Church

Goddess of Mercy Temple

Inside Goddess of Mercy Temple
The museum had lots of wonderful information but I was getting tired so decided to go back to hotel only to find that someone had pinched my new umbrella.  The staff at the museum were so upset by this that they gave me another umbrella which was just as well as it was pouring again!

The day was topped off with another good Indian meal.

Our journey to the Perhentian Islands was uneventful and on reaching the harbour we boarded fast motor boats with our baggage piled all over us to zoom across to the island.  There is a reef offshore from our abode so it was a transfer to a smaller boat for the journey to shore.  Everything was managed extremely well with no baggage ending up in the water.  Our accommodation was shabby without the chic and several people immediately headed off to find something better.  Actually I think mould on the ceiling could be the next interior design thing!  The beach and little cafes along it though were another little piece of paradise and I wasn't planning to spend time in my room except to sleep so decided with stay put. 

I went off for a walk and took some more bad monkey photos.  Why can't they just turn and smile sweetly at the camera. I unwisely for dinner and ended up with a not very tasty soupy curry. Mandy had organised a photo quiz and our table spent ages trying to identify the places, dates and parts of the truck. It was a good evening.

That black blob is a monkey

The jetty at the good swimming beach

My beach hut - there are actually three rooms in there
The following morning Colin and I went and looked at other huts.  Wendy did not like the mould which apparently dislodged itself every time they walked round the room.  I probably would have changed to something a bit better but none of them had twin beds and so that ended that thought.

A lot of relaxing and lounging took place and then a walk to the next beach for a wonderful swim with waves of just the right size.  After that a bit of lunch and another lounge around and it was time for pre-dinner drinks.  Went up to one of the superior huts that Sandra and Keith had taken and sat on their balcony watching the flying foxes and bats until it was time for dinner.  Had wonderful barbequed squid and salad.  I seem to have become addicted to squid although I will probably have to go back to that places to try the giant prawns which looked fantastic.

The beach in front of our huts

Calling it a resort is rather glamourising it
Another two days here and then off to K.L.  There are only 11 days left until I fly to Brisbane.  I am so excited to be seeing my kids again after so long and to meeting Kate's new puppy, Fudge but am still enjoying every bit of the trip and will do right till the end.
Fudge

No comments:

Post a Comment